Bone Broth is incredibly nourishing to the digestive system. It helps to deal with food intolerances, heal leaky gut, support immunity, reduce inflammation and restore mineral reserves in the body. You can drink it warm from a cup or mix it in with other recipes as a base or flavour-enhancer. Chicken broth has more of a mild flavour than the other bone broths so it’s a great place to start.
- 2kgs organic chicken wings
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar (important)
- filtered water to fill the pot
- 1 or 2 onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 large sticks of celery
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 cardamom pod (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- salt to taste (remember you can add more later if you want)
- 6-8L slow cooker or pressure cooker or pot. (If your chosen vessel larger or smaller, just increase or reduce the ingredients accordingly.)
- Metal (or heat proof) strainer
- Salt wings and place on a tray in a hot oven until they brown around the edges (about 220 degrees for about 30 mins)
- Remove wings from the oven and transfer all the wings and pan-juices into the pot with all the other ingredients
- Fill the pot to the “MAX” line (I use an 8L pressure cooker)
- Cook it at a very gentle simmer for 24 hours or Pressure Cook it at full pressure for 4 hours
- Once it’s finished cooking, strain & keep the liquid broth – discard all the solid ingredients (all the goodness is in the broth)
Feel free to play around with the flavours as you like. The only ingredients that you need is the bones, the water and the vinegar (or acidic substitute such as lemon juice). The rest is open to creativity!
Need More Guidance?
My motivation for sharing recipes comes from understanding the healing power of food. Eating healthy is not boring or tasteless, it’s abundant and flavourful.
As a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner I help clients deal with digestive problems, hormonal imbalances, fertility and many other health concerns during one-on-one Nutritional Therapy Consultations.
Call or email me, to talk through an action plan for you.